Sometimes I want a break from the more traditional holiday drinks like Eggnog and Apple Cider. So a few years ago I began experimenting with white hot chocolate. I kept adding or changing ingredients until it was the perfect blend of spices and sweetness to feel like winter in a cup!
It’s easy to make and doesn’t take very long at all. It’s perfect for entertaining all week long or when you’re taking that morning break from opening gifts.
I personally use 1% milk, but you can substitute with heavy cream or half and half, if you prefer. I do recommend, however, if it’s your first time drinking white hot chocolate to try it first with your favorite milk so you have a starting palate. If you’re a fan of soymilk, I suggest using vanilla, as it will not compete with the other flavors.
What makes my recipe unique is the collection of spices. Cinnamon and nutmeg create the taste of holidays. I will also add in Allspice just to enhance the nutty flavor, but as it’s an expensive ingredient, my recipe does not require it. You’ll notice that some of the spices will settle at the top of the liquid. That’s okay! Most of it will be in the body of the drink.
PREP TIME: 1 minute – collection of items
COOK TIME: 14 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
MAKES: 1 serving, but easy to multiple for more
1 cup of milk of your choice
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup white chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Pinch of Allspice (if you have it)
Pinch of ground nutmeg for topping
Cinnamon stick for garnish
- Stir together milk, vanilla and white chocolate chips in a medium saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. After chocolate melts add your measured cinnamon and nutmeg. Optional: If you have Allspice, you can add a pinch or two of it in this step as well.
- Continue cooking on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a simmer. DO NOT LET IT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and pour into individual mugs.
- Sprinkle a bit of nutmeg on top of each drink.
- Add a cinnamon stick for garnish, if desired.