For years I struggled with peanut butter flavored rice krispy treats. I never thought they were very good, and they certainly were never very strong in peanut butter flavor. What is the point if they don’t taste like peanut butter?
So, I decided to make my own.
I spent years testing it, trying different ingredients, and adjusting the amounts, until I finally found the perfect recipe.
And, if you’re looking for a last minute treat for Halloween, these are perfect!
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
MAKES: 1 pan of treats
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
10 oz. (1 package) of marshmallows – recommend using regular ones, may need to adjust package size if you use mini size
6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
2 cups Reese’s Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Miniture Cups
1/2 cup Reese’s Pieces
You’ll notice I specifically say Reese’s products. They work best! I tried other peanut butter and other peanut butter cups. They just weren’t as tasty.
- Chop 1/2 peanut butter cups. Set aside.
- In large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Add 10 ounces of marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups of peanut butter.
Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Cereal. Stir until well coated. Let cool briefly, but do not let it set.
- Coat a large glass pan (recommended 13 x 9 x 2 inch) with baking cooking spray.
- Mix in chopped peanut butter cups and half of the Reese’s Pieces. The cups may melt a bit, but that’s okay.
- Spray your spatula with baking spray. Press mixture into coated pan. Top with the rest of the Reese’s Pieces and any additional peanut butter cups.
- Let cool and then enjoy!